LJ and I were hostesses this month and came up with a fun theme that everyone would enjoy. I searched the website Jeanette uses to find unusual holidays and found this:
January is "Book Blitz Month". We came up with "reading" themed kits and mailed them out to the Dazzlers and Divas to put together this months card.
The kit I sent included the following items:
Image: MFT Who's That Girl - "Well Read"
Paper - Basic Grey DP "Study Hall" - I only had one sheet, I never buy just one sheet of any paper, but I only had one sheet to split for everyone, DCWV brown solid, Fancy Pants DP "Frigid"
Accessories: CTMH Baker's Twine - Neutral Assortment brown, Buttons - Dress It Up - Lone Stars, Nailheads Metal stickers - Mark Richards from Hobby Lobby, Ribbon - brown from my stash
LJ and I also asked our teams to let everyone know who our favorite author is, or what our favorite book is and why.
Here is my creation. It's not a card, it's a bookmark. I realized that while I was making it that it was going to be a really big bookmark, and I was right. It is too big for a standard paperback. Maybe I just need bigger books?? What I really should have done was to make it 2 sided and had the sentiment on the back. Too late now ☺ Maybe I'll make another one that way so that I can actually use it!
I love to read, and I had been purchasing books online and reading them using the B&N app on my tablet. It can get expensive, but to me it was worth it and I really didn't give it a thought.
One day, I received an email from Diva Tami with all of the information on how to get a library card and steps on how to use the libraries check out system to get books delivered electronically to my tablet! What a sweetheart....she did all of the research and sent me all of the links I needed that got me to where I am today. I have a library card, and I have 3 books checked out right now, ready to be read! Thank you Tami! I will be forever grateful to you for sharing that information with me!!
As for my favorite author? I don't really have one, but right now I am reading a book written by Nicholas Sparks (also just finished one of his too). I do have a favorite book though, and this book goes all the way back to Sophomore year of high school. We were required to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee published in 1960. Loved it, and actually read it several times since high school. In 1962, the book was also made into a movie staring Gregory Peck, and the movie was actually pretty good too.
I am so glad the the Dazzlers enjoyed working with the kit I sent out, and I still feel terrible that they were sent out so late....life just has a way of getting in the way sometimes.
Please check out all of the Diva and Dazzler cards.....blogs are listed in my right sidebar!
Thanks for stopping by!
Oh Terry, aren't you smart!!! What a great idea to make a bookmark!!!!!!!!!!!! Duh! Why didn't I think of that!?!?!
ReplyDeleteYour kit was PERFECT!!! And your bookmark... WOW! I love the way you tied the buttons on and the image is colored beautifully. Very very creative!
I loved reading about your reading preferences, too.
Great duel, my dear!
Terry--I will start this the same as what I wrote in the other Dazzlers--no wonder so many of you were so excited to make this card--I LOVE that image that you sent to everyone!
ReplyDeleteThat couch looks so comfy and I think it is brilliant that you made a bookmark.
As I told Carol--I too love Nicholas Sparks--I cannot put his books done once I start them.
Thanks for sending everyone such a cute kit and for being an awesome part of this wonderful group of ladies!
Fantastic theme you and LJ came up with Terry! Love the elements I've seen in your kit especially the image and sentiment from MFT...How perfect for a book theme! And how perfect to make your creation in bookmark form! You rocked this challenge in all ways! Very interesting hearing about your electronic read. Wish I had a tablet and was able to download books from the library. Awesome. Oh, and I love "To Kill a Mockingbird"...also one of my all-time fav movies! Thanks for a wonderful dueling theme this month!
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Goodness. !!! This bookmark is the cutest idea ever! I love how you made the transition to the hanging portion of the bookmark.
ReplyDeleteYou are so welcome on the library information. I love me some free! We pay taxes for it...but anyway!!! LOL I think that the library enables us to read more of what we may not be willing to pay for initially, but find that it would have been well worth it!
I am also laughing at myself that everyone has all of these nice books that they read and I have a post about serial killers! I am such a dork!!!
You know, I was also thinking of making a bookmark, but decided not to at the last minute. LOL I just love yours! The twine with the buttons on the end is too cute! And I really like the tab punch at the top with the ribbon-it's perfect!
ReplyDeleteThank you for such a wonderful and fun kit this month! It was a nice theme and great to learn of everyone's favorite books and authors.
Hugs!
How cute! I like how you used the star buttons. That tab is wonderful! Thank you for a great kit :)
ReplyDeleteWow Terry, great idea...a book mark for a book theme...awesome. I love the kit you sent and the masterpiece you created...I too love Nicholas Sparks and oh my "To Kill a Mockingbird" AMAZING BOOK...love that as well...You did an outstanding job with this challenge...so glad we are duelers together ((hugs))...
ReplyDeleteFirst of all I want to thank YOU for the amazing beautiful kit AND the fabby theme chosen! Your bookmark may be big but I don't see any problem...the better to locate it when not in use (I lost many bookmarks as they were too small!!lol)Love love LOVEEEE how you used the floss with the buttons....that is an AWESOMEEEE idea WPS!!♥ now U've got me thinking HOW to use my newly acquired tablet for reading too...although, I must admit, I am a 'real book' die hard kind of gal...*wink*
ReplyDeleteTerry, it was/is a wonderful kit! I loved working with it and wish I had thought to make a bookmark! I think I will make one of my 'practice' ones into one....shhhh, don't tell!
ReplyDeleteYour creation is beautiful and it looks the perfect size!! And, if youD like, could use it as wall art instead!
OH well you know I was happy to see this theme this month! :) This is just beautiful Terry, just as you are!
ReplyDeleteSo thrilled to be dueling with you!
x0x0
Oh how clever are you to make a bookmark and a smashing one at that!! Love how you used the rounded label puch with the ribbonn, twine and embellish! This is just fantastic.
ReplyDelete